I'm going to attempt better work documentation through this blog.
Crowded Head Production Plan
The start of a production/distribution plan for the EEG headset.
This is a useful document to maintain as a prototype evolves into a production unit. My project is still at an early prototype stage and may remain that way for a while, but I’ll do my best to imagine a feasible production scenario.
Unit Numbers & General Plan
I would love to be able to mass produce an item, but considering that I’m still getting a handle on the fabrication techniques I’d like to use, and considering that the TGAM (Think Gear Asic Module) EEG chip is relatively new and expensive, I’m going to think of this as a designer piece for now. Users can basically “plug and play” the headset to use as a switch for objects plugged into a battery-powered outlet. I know that this is feasible, even though it will lead to a rather expensive product.
- Units for production: based on customer request. I’d follow Jeff Lieberman’s approach for his wall clock. I’d aim for 25 units.
- Assembly: by hand.
- Distribution Channel: Kickstarter, to keep the customer request period time limited. Kickstarter is a good channel and market research tool for projects transitioning from prototype to production, and that’s what this piece would be at this point.
Production Details & Cost
- Headset circuit case to rest over the ears, printed on Shapeways. (I know I can do this right now. I still need to learn about molding/casting.) $40 per unit* 2 cases/unit * 25 units = $200
- EEG circuit + electrodes: hacked out of a Mindflex toy $33.75 per unit * 25 units = $843.75
- Xbees: $21.51 * 2 per unit * 25 units = $1075.50
- Arduino Fios (I will design custom PCBs for this, but let’s use this as a stand-in): $25 * 2 per unit * 25 units = $1250
- LiPo Batteries (3.7V) = $10 * 2 per unit * 25 units: $500
- LiPo Charger = $10 per unit * 25 units: $250
- Felt for headband: $5 per unit * 25 units = $125
- Velcro for headband $5 per unit * 25 units = $125
- TOTAL: $4477.25
- upfront investment: $6000
- per-unit cost: $179.09
- suggested retail price: $250
- time to market: 6 months
- per-unit assembly times: 10 hrs/unit
- total labor required: 250 hours
- labor cost: $20/hr * 250 hrs = $5000
- shipping: $8/unit * 25 units = $200
- taxes: TBD, let’s say $1000
- overhead: $2500
- TOTAL CAPITAL REQUIRED: parts + labor + shipping + overhead + taxes = $4477.25 + $5000 + $200 + $1000 + $2500 = $13,177.25